Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Farewell to the apartment


This is a farewell to Silas' fabulous apartment in Anderson. We did the final cleaning on Friday the 29! We are sooo glad to be done with this special place and most of all we are sooo glad that we are not living there as a family. I only stayed there for a few days when I flew out to look at houses but it only took 5 minutes to fully appreciate the beauty surrounding Silas on a daily basis. To Silas, Cameron, and Tom.... Thank you guys so much for sacrificing so much for your families. I know it was a hard situation on everyone but you all went without so much. I am sure I speak for the other wives when I say that we appreciate you so much and we are all extremely glad to have our families together again!

Top ten memories of the apartment
1. The aroma of flowers upon entry. Or was it mold, cigarettes and who knows what else(because it was definitely unfamiliar smells for me). Thank goodness for carpet deodorizers and glade scented oil plug ins!
2.The camp chairs in the living room. I have to say that they were mighty comfy when I was stuck in the apartment all day reading! But what a blessing to not have to actually sit on the luscious and clean carpet!
3. The luscious and clean carpet. When we went to clean the apartment Kalia dropped a gummy candy on the floor and I couldn't get it to the trash fast enough! GROSS!! Need I say more?!!
4. The amazing kitchen supplies! I think they were even more sparse then when Silas was in his ricks college apartment! Thanks to the Marble family for supplying most of it though! I don't know how they had enough stuff for both homes but how lucky were we when we didn't have to buy a second set of everything!
5. Air Mattresses! They sure have come a long way. I am not an air mattress connoisseur so I had no idea the types of air mattresses that you could get. Yet another sacrifice of these wonderful men for their families! I don't know if my back would have taken it for so long!
6.Snoring! All I know is that I missed Silas' snoring because it lulls me to sleep. But through this wonderful apartment experience Sy learned what it was like to be kept awake by others snoring. Thanks guys! I'll be nice and not mention specific names!
7. The bathrooms. No excitement there. There were 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. Neither bathroom was fit for royalty. (Nor did they come anywhere close) The master bath was missing the soap holder so it had a hole in the tile. Hello mold! The hallway bathroom was actually worse. The door was falling apart and this yellowish insulation type stuff was falling out of the bottom all over the floor. Constantly! Add that to the humidity caused by lack of fans in both bathrooms and you were in for a sticky mess.
8. Dining room set. The final piece of furniture to go along with the camp chairs and air mattresses was a totally rockin card table and folding chairs. Thanks to someone at work we were able to borrow this lovely set which served a great purpose when I was there. We got to play Phase 10.
9. No wives! I guess the boys had a rude reminder of what life would be like without their families. It was nice to feel needed and appreciated. No wives and no money left for early bedtimes for everyone. Thank goodness for ambien!
10. The green 19 inch TV with bunny ears 3 times its size! Another thank you to someone at work! At least they were able to watch the 3 channels that came in fuzzy!

All in all the apartment served its purpose so we feel blessed to have had it. Most of all I feel blessed to have a husband like Silas. We all missed him very badly while we were still in Utah. He sacrificed so much for us as a family so that we would not get into a financial bind with this move. Silas, I love you so much! You are such a wonderful husband and father for so many reasons!
Goodbye apartment, goodbye!

2 comments:

sunnie said...

"hello mold!" lol, i can totally imagine it. gotta love indiana humidity.

Jennette said...

i died laughing! had to show Cameron who of course really appreciated it. sometimes i'm grateful i never saw it! :)