Friday, March 7, 2008

Sock Hop Day



Last night as the kids were being tucked into bed I was informed that it was very important that my children have stuff to wear today for sock hop day and that my little (big) princess had been counting on a new poodle skirt since we had previously talked about how much fun one would be. This skirt was a tall order since my craft room looks like a tornado hit and my sewing machine has been less than friendly lately. (It also didn't help that it was already 8:30 at night.) So I cut up a black sheet and free handed a large circle in the hopes of turning it magically into a fashionable poodle skirt. The skirt was finished surprisingly quickly, I guess when you have no hopes of perfection it's easier just to get it done. Madison was thrilled with the skirt this morning and is hoping that lots of other kids dress up today. Kaden rolled up his pants and called it good. He actually started with a white t-shirt this morning but right before they left he spilled mouthwash on it so he changed into black. Kalia had to join in the fun of course so she is styling in the first poodle skirt I made Maddy when she was about 3 or 4. She is such a movie/rock star and always wants to do poses and be the center of attention. I wonder if she will be posing all day or if I will be able to get her to help mommy clean up the newest tornado in my sewing room. The type of tornado where boxes got completely emptied all over the floor in an attempt to find any fabric suitable for a poodle skirt. For my mom, I want to say Thank you. Every time my kids come to me at night with a project of any sort needing it done by morning, I remember you and how willing you always were to lose sleep to help out your kids. You are absolutely amazing and I hope that I can be as good of a mom as you have been. They always say that you won't truly appreciate your parents until you have your own kids and in this case they are right. I remember always feeling grateful for your late night sewing and such, but I never really comprehended the truth of the matter. You needed sleep too! You were not there just to serve me! And even mom's are not super hero's that can just pull a poodle skirt out of their back pocket! I love you Mom!

11 comments:

Traci said...

Cute skirt! And, check you out. You uploaded video to your blog. Pretty soon Sara will be calling you for help with her blog. Okay, maybe not:). But your blog is great.

ALL MY GUYS and ME said...

So, what are the chances your kids go to Cumberland Road??!! i googled "sock hop" this morning and your blog came up. My son was dressing for a sock hop too. . .Just thought I would check to see if you live in Fishers. . .if so, we might see you at the sock hop tonight??

sunnie said...

i can't believe you even sew. i tried that once, and i'm not that good. i couldn't have pulled something like that out of my "back pocket" lol. i might be calling you for help since i somehow got the good idea for my 10 hrs of 'community nursing' to be making quilts for babies at primary children's hospital. what was i thinking? sleep deprivation+good idea=bad idea

Olson Family said...

Super cute!

battraws said...

I am so impressed you got that done and thought to use a sheet! What a great mom!

Jaime said...

I love the skirt and admire the fact that you can even sew. I agree that we really do appreciate our parents after having kids... cheers to late nights.

Sara said...

Darling skirt! Good work.

I'm so glad you are blogging more. It's fun to see your cute kids.

Lyndee said...

I love the skirt. I am so jealous. I couldn't sew to save my life. You are such a cute mom.

bruceg said...

I linked over to your blog from Mandy's. Hope you don't mind. How bad (or good!) was the recent snow over there? I was just to Frankfort a week or so ago and the snow around Indie was bad. I get over there a few times a year. Your poodle skirt adventure was fun to read and will nominate you to the Parenting Hall of Fame. You are right about your mother and I wonder if my kids remember any of the late night projects I did for them? You and Silas are doing a great job and I wish the best for all of you. We will be hauling Meg out to BYU this summer after EFY, the trek and Young Womens camp. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it. Looking forward to more chapters in the Smith blog.

Becky said...

What a clever little girl you are! Now everyone can go to the sock hop. What a dancin' family you have . (and thank you for the wonderful mommy comments)

Alyssa & Bruce said...

That is amazing! How creative. Who'd a thought that a simple bed sheet could be so much more? I especially enjoyed the tribute to your mom. I don't have children yet but I do know how much they sacrifice on behlaf of their children. I really enjoy having Kalia in class. She is always so happy and attentive. Ps. I hope you don't mind me nosing onto your blog. :)