Saturday, April 19, 2008

Trip to Nestle



Today we got to go see where Daddy works. Interest was pretty high in the beginning but I think that I was the only one who really cared about how the machines worked in the end.(Or maybe I was the only one who could follow Silas as he explained all the technical stuff as Maddy said to me that she got lost when he started talking about molecules and stuff!) I love to see the places Silas works as it helps me to understand his day and visualize what he's doing for all those long hours away from us. We got to meet some new people including "Quick" the nesquick bunny. He was Kalia's favorite part of the tour and she kept going back for more hugs and high fives. After 2 Polaroid pictures (they wouldn't allow my camera in) the bunny was great to just play and dance with her when he wasn't busy taking pictures with other kids. "Quick" made all the walking through the giant plant worth it! All the kids got their faces painted and we all got to enjoy a great box lunch with lots of different flavored milk to choose from for our beverages! It really is an amazing plant. I was just in awe by one video in particular that showed how fast the machine works. It's baffling to me that anything can go that fast and stay in control! We also got to see how they make the bottles for the milk. That was really interesting for the kids and in our goody bags when we left they gave us what is called a preform (the plastic piece that they make and then heat up really really hot and blow air into it, while inside a mold, to make the bottle) which we are excited to use for show and tell at school this week. Madison is still sick but she was a real trooper and tagged along (getting a piggy back ride for part of the tour). Last but not least, we saw Silas' new office that he just moved into. Can we say blank slate? I need to get some pictures gathered up to make it more homey. Can you make a cubicle office homey? All in all it was a fun and educational experience.

2 comments:

Alyssa & Bruce said...

That's fun! Where is the Nestle plant? Ps. I tagged you...

The Millward Family said...

thank goodness you are posting again! i was about to go crazy! i love maddy's and kalia's hair cuts! they are so cute! only 3 more months til i get to see you guys!!!!